Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Catching Up Again

Last week was rough. We are still on some crazy schedules with our girls' school and classroom construction and I needed to attend a funeral of a family member and it just seemed that in all the craziness, plans got set to the side. Sometimes, we just survive our weeks. Thankfully, we have green smoothies every morning. That single item often saves my day, nutritionally speaking.

One win from last week? We successfully used all our veggies from our CSA box - save a tub of okra that I am going to put into a vegetarian gumbo tomorrow. And yes, I did roast some of it just to see what it was like. It wasn't half bad in its roasted state. As someone who only eats okra largely of the sliced and fried variety, this is a big step forward.

With the remains of the CSA, I basically jumbled everything together into a veggie soup. Some weeks, this might turn into homemade veggie broth as well. But I set that okra aside specifically for gumbo.

This week, things are still crazy - mixed up schedules and swim lessons, doctor's appointment and community potlucks. But the big news, and the one that greatly affects my ability to plan for the week apparently, is that I have an impending birthday this weekend. So, it's feeling a bit like a week of indulgence. (Throw caution to the wind! Be Spontaneous!). Meal planning has taken a back seat to making plans for the weekend (where to eat? what to do? and most important, what kind of cake to make? This one, btw!).

So, what are we doing so far this week?

Monday was Tofurkey pizza (I couldn't resist trying their supreme made with vegan cheese/Italian sausage) along with the vegetable soup.

Last night, the girls succesfully lobbied for mac and cheese (which they would eat every single dang night if I let them) with fruit. David and I ate the last of the soup and we all snacked on an appetizer of pita chips and hummus (that would be the hummus I whipped up Monday morning because my littlest wanted it for breakfast). And everyone had a before bed snack of carrot sticks.

Tonight is a late appt night so I am not at all sure what we will cobble together but we do need to make a quick run to the market to refresh fruit, carrots and onions. Choices for lunches this morning were a little slim.

Tomorrow we'll have the vegetarian gumbo served with rice. Since I'll be working from home, I'll also cook our black beans for the week that I should have cooked over the weekend.

On Thursday, I am going to turn some of those black beans into the simple black bean burgers we love.

Friday is community night at our girls' school. Thankfully, the school is providing dinner this time so I don't have to think about what to bring (whew!) and Saturday, well, Saturday's the big day. Suffice it to say that we'll likely be eating some version of Italian food since *I* get to choose. Along with bellinis if I can make that happen. And, the cake.

On Sunday, I'm running my first official 5k since having babies. Yay, me!! I figured this was a good way to celebrate the anniversary of my birth as well as my renewed commitment to health as I, ahem, get older. And since it's a race, migas at Curra's are certainly in order afterward. Let the celebration continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment